Good morning!! Hope everyone is having a good week with plenty of visits to target now that it’s decked out in pink and red! It’s been such a busy week at work for me, and it seems like every day we have had an appt with wedding vendors or other wedding related things. When your fiance is the planning type, you’re better off getting things done because if not- he will be asking about certain things and deadlines over and over again. Love you Trey! :) But it balances it out since my personality is somewhat more of the “go with the flow” type. I’ve been getting more and more emails from girls planning their wedding. I love bonding over regular things that are mentioned next to the word “wedding” and then completely over-priced. It’s seriously nuts y’all. So if you can keep the word “wedding” out of your vocabulary and just say something like “a birthday celebration” or a “gathering” when meeting with those vendors who won’t be at the event, do it- it’ll save you tons of money.
On the bright side, we have hired a wedding planner! YES. I can breathe now. She is so awesome, and I feel so soo lucky to be able to work with her. We proofed our save-the-dates, which y’all are gonna die when you see. So excited! and will be meeting with people from the Church tomorrow. Slowly, but surely— it’s all coming around.
Speaking of weddings, today’s post was contributed by Audrey a wedding photographer based out of southeast Virginia. Audrey is sharing 4 tips on planning your engagement photo shoot. She is so sweet and sooo freakin talented! She does Weddings, engagements, and all kinds of portraits. She has been featured on wedding wire, the knot, how he asked, and many more sites. So she is pretty much a cool girl in the photography world. Thank you so much for collaborating with me Audrey! You can check out her site here: Audrey Rose Photo, Facebook, Instagram. I promise, you won’t be disappointed. All photos on this post were taken by Audrey Rose Photo. I will be sharing our personal engagement pictures and day of mishaps next week! Stay tuned!
Once you get the ring, you start wedding planning and book your photographer. The comes the engagement session!! This is something that many girls dream about and anticipate leading up to their engagement. They probably have a whole pinterest board dedicated to engagement pictures! This is an opportunity for you to bask in the joy of your recent engagement and capture this moment in time forever! I just love the giddy excitement that couples have during the engagement session as this is one of the first big steps in the wedding planning process! So along with all this excitement also comes the stress of planning the session! What to wear, where to do it, etc. You’ve been looking forward to this for so long, so you want to get it right! There are a few important factors to consider when planning for your engagement session. Here are a few tips to help you along the way!
Planning your outfits. After the date and location of the engagement session are set, the next question is usually “what should we wear??” I know from experience that this can be a very stressful aspect of planning the session! Here are a few things to consider when picking out your outfits!
- Do coordinate, don’t match. One key thing to consider when picking out your outfits is to coordinate with each other versus match. This not only applies to the colors, but also to the overall style and aesthetic. If you’re outfits are too matchy-matchy, it may be distracting in the pictures. But you DO want to coordinate by picking complimentary colors and dressing with the same level of formality.
- Two outfits. I usually suggest bringing two outfits, one casual and the other a little more dressy. This way you can get a variety of looks in your session!
- Consider season and setting. You want to consider the season and setting you’ll be doing the session in. If you’re shooting in summer on the beach, wearing boots and scarves wouldn’t go well with the setting. But if your session takes place outside in the fall, then boots and scarves would be perfect!
- Avoid logos and small prints. A shirt with a big logo or a dress with a tiny intricate print may not photograph well during your session. A big logo can be distracting and tiny patterns won’t show up in your images. However, bold statement necklaces and scarves photograph beautifully!
- Be yourself. Everyone has that one piece of clothing that is SO them and flatters their figure perfectly. This is the type of thing that’d be great to wear for your engagement session! You want to be sure that you are feeling comfortable and confident during your session. And you also want to be sure that you look and feel like yourself!
Location, Location, Location. Another big factor in planning your engagement session is picking the location! Just like your outfits, you want to pick a location that goes with the overall style and aesthetic you envision for your session! If you and your fiance love going to the beach or are having a beach wedding, then maybe you’d like to do your session at the beach! Or if you love all things rustic and outdoors, then maybe you’d want to do your session in a farm-like location. Or maybe there’s a particular park where you spend a lot time together. Or the bridge where he proposed! There’s so many options to explore when picking your location! If you have no idea where to start, ask your photographer for a few local suggestions. They should know a few local places that are great for engagement sessions!